Monday, November 14, 2011

Taking it all in

As many of you may know, I am currently in Madrid, Spain, attending the iCERi (International Conference for Education, Research and Innovation) 2011 conference with my mentor and internship professor Ms. Gina Jones.  We have arrived safe and sound in Spain and are enjoying the culture and taking it all in.  The usual work day begins at 10AM and lunch begins around 2PM.  We tried to walk to a local restaurant last night at 6PM only to find that many of the restaurants here in Madrid do not open for dinner until 8 or 9PM.  Europeans take time and enjoy their food, sometimes allotting 2-3 hours to eat dinner.  There is always laughter and plenty of spirits.

Today's proceedings began at 9AM and presentations began at 10:30.  I was able to network with individuals from Kosovo, France, Australia and the U.S amongst others. 

Everyone was very welcoming and respectful and asked questions about my work.  It would have been more helpful, however; if I knew Spanish.... 

In high school, I took 4 years of French and 2 years of German.  Wow...today I wish I would have listened to my mother and taken Spanish.  I know only a few words in Spanish, one being Gracias!...and it has come in handy!  However, when you speak even a few words of Spanish, people think that you know the language fluently and continue to ramble on at a rapid pace.  I then greet them with my American - I have no idea what you just said- look.  Some of the other few words of Spanish that I know are Habla Ingles?  Luckily there have been quite a few people that do speak English and have been able to help us as needed.  The local culture has been quite accommodating and provided menus in English. 

Tomorrow I will be attending various presentations that relate to my work.  Information about tomorrows proceedings will be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment